Before you begin the submission process be sure your paper is formatted according to the Conference Paper Requirements. We have arranged for a manuscript creation/test site, PDF express. You can use the template provided (click here to download the MS template) or simply create your manuscript online. PLEASE read the information provided here as it will help you in submitting your paper. Your paper will be rejected by the system if it is not compliant with the conference format style.
- Each Corresponding Author (the author that submits the paper, will attend the conference to present the paper and is responsible for communicating with the Conference Organizers and the paper¡¯s co-authors) is limited to two submissions for the conference. Each paper submission requires a $25 paper deposit (non-refundable, non-transferrable). One paid paper deposit will be automatically credited toward one paid registration fee as long as the deposit was paid in your record. These fees are not transferable. You can pay the paper deposit in advance by following the link Register Online Now or you can complete the deposit process when you upload your paper (you will be prompted for payment in order to complete the submission process). Papers are limited to four (4) pages. Authors wishing to submit an over-length manuscript may do so. There will be an over-length page fee of $125 per page and limited to an additional 3 pages (maximum page submission is seven (7) pages). This payment will be required after author notification of accept/decline.
- Authors should only submit originally written, unpublished work to EMBC¡¯09.
- During your initial submission, you will be required to add all the co-authors of your paper. In order to add a co-author, they must have a PIN in the Conference Management Website, the PaperCept database. Using the PIN Wizard, you can look up PINs by surname to locate an active PIN in the database. If not they will need to create one. Please remember, once accepted, you will be required to add any additional co-authors during your final submission.
- EMBC¡¯09 will adopt a two-step submission process. The Initial Submission will be for review purposes and stamped for confidentiality. The Final Submission will appear in the conference proceedings. If your paper is accepted, you will be required to upload your final paper by the Final Paper Submission Deadline.
- The corresponding author of invited papers should forward the paper id number, title and authorship of the submitted paper to the session organizer.
- For author registration and paper submission, please go to the Conference Management website.
Information About Manuscript Preparation for Paper Submission
Detailed information about manuscript preparation for paper submission and required format can be found here
- Please follow the page margins strictly. Specifically, if you are using LaTeX style files, please ensure that page margins are strictly followed. The paper margin information is available here
- All submissions must be in US Letter page size format.
- Final submissions must be in 2-column format.
- Do not put your own page numbers on the manuscript.
- Only the corresponding author can upload the paper -- but any of the co-authors can register for the conference and pay for registration.
- The corresponding author is required to complete the registration fee prior to uploading their final paper. If the current corresponding (presenting) author will not attend the conference and a co-author will attend and present the paper in their place, the corresponding author must be updated in the paper submission database. Then, the corresponding author is required to access the registration database to complete payment. During the registration process, you will be shown all of the papers you are listed as an author on. You must uncheck the box next to the papers that you will not be presenting. Then, go to the paper database to complete the IEEE copyright form and upload the final paper.
Only PDF files will be accepted. Further instructions follow in Introduction to IEEE PDF eXpress.
Click here for the Requirements for IEEE Xplore PDF and click on PDF Specification for IEEE Xplore. Authors must check that their paper is viewable electronically and without errors that would prevent the Conference from including the paper in CD ROM or Printed Proceedings. A test site to check for formatting compatibility is provided. Please follow the instructions to determine if your paper satisfies the required guidelines using the test your PDF file link once you are logged into PDF eXpress. Once the paper is found to be compatible, please go to the PaperCept Database to upload your paper. In the event a paper is submitted that cannot be viewed or printed properly, the Conference may elect to only publish the abstract of the paper in the Proceedings.
Introduction to IEEE PDF eXpress:
The new IEEE Xplore Requirements for PDF were implemented as of 2005. All conference articles submitted for inclusion in IEEE Xplore must adhere to the IEEE Xplore PDF specification for compatibility.
PDF SPECIFICATIONS FOR IEEE EXPLORE: As of 31 December 2009 IEEE XPLORE submissions must be in PDF version 1.4 (Acrobat 5) thru 1.7 (Acrobat 8). In addition, the files must meet the requirements of the PDF specification.
IEEE PDF eXpress is a free service to IEEE conferences, allowing their authors to make IEEE Xplore-compatible PDFs (Conversion function) or to check PDFs that authors have made themselves for IEEE Xplore compatibility (PDF Check function).
IEEE PDF eXpress Access Info:
URL, Conference ID: embc09x
Instructions for IEEE PDF eXpress:
|For further information click here.
|If the PDF submitted fails the PDF check||If you are not satisfied with the IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF||If the PDF submitted passed the PDF Check, or you are satisfied with your IEEE PDF eXpress-converted PDF|
|Option 1||Submit your source file for conversion PDF Check, or by clicking Try again, then Submit Source Files for Conversion.||Resubmit your source file with corrections (Try again, then Submit Source Files for Conversion)||Submit your IEEE Xplore compatible PDF to the conference management website.|
|Option 2||Read the PDF Check report, then click "The PDF Check Report" in the sidebar to get information on possible solutions.||Submit a PDF by clicking Try again, then Submit PDF for Checking|
|Option 3||"Request Technical Help" through your account.||"Request a Manual Conversion" through your account.|
IEEE PDF eXpress converts the following file types to PDF:
- Rich Text Format
- (La)TeX (DVI and all support files required)*
- Word Pro
- Microsoft Word
PDF creation/IEEE Xplore compliance-compatibility/IEEE PDF eXpress general questions:
Email, Phone: +1 732 465 5888; 9am ¨C 5pm UTC/GMT -5 hours, Monday thru Friday
IEEE PDF eXpress site issues: Webmaster
*For documents created in formats that do not embed source files, include all support files with the final manuscript in a folder. Put this folder in a compressed archive for submission. If it is possible to embed images in the source document, you should do so to avoid potential issues, such as missing graphics.
IMPORTANT: A DVI (DeVice Independent file) is required for LaTeX conversions, in addition to all associated image files. Make sure that your LaTeX system can output a DVI, otherwise it cannot be converted. Be sure also to check that your images are properly referenced, and that DVI can handle the image file types used (DVI does not handle some newer image types, such as *.png).
Final Paper Submission
According to the EMBC'09 registration policy, to upload the final paper, at least one of the authors of the paper must be registered at the appropriate full conference rate (Member, Non-member, Student member, Student non-member). Without the payment of registration fee, authors will not be able to upload their final manuscript. Note that while any author of the paper may be registered, only the designated corresponding author may upload the final paper. Once a manuscript has been uploaded, the registration fees cannot be refunded.
One paid paper deposit will be credited towards your paid registration fee (1 paid fee) only if the deposit was paid in your record. Paper deposits are not refundable or transferable. Any additional paper deposits are an operational fee and cannot be applied to your registration fee.
Registration (minus 1 paper deposit) can be assigned to a co-author listed on the final paper submission. We are unable to refund registration for those corresponding authors or co-authors who are unable to obtain visas.
All co-authors of your paper must have a PIN in the system in order for you to add them as a co-author of your paper. If they do not have a PIN, their name cannot be added during your submission, which means their name will not appear in the proceeding/author index. It is very important to enter the complete information about all co-authors into the PaperCept Database at the time of the submission of the paper.
The IEEE copyright transfer form will be collected electronically as a step in the final paper submission process. Authors should NOT mail, fax or email their copyright transfer forms.
Registration Fee for "Presenting Author" is non-refundable after 18 July 2009. By submitting a paper to the 31th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Authors accept all submission and payment requirements of the Conference as listed above.
EMBS enforces a ¡°no show¡± policy. Any accepted paper included in the final program is expected to have at least one author attend and present the paper at the conference. Authors of the accepted papers included in the final program who do not attend the Conference will be subscribed to a "No Show List", compiled by the Society. The "no-show" papers will be removed from the Master DVD and noted as ¡°Author unavailable for presentation¡± prior to submitting to IEEE for inclusion in Xplore. The "No Show List" will also be made available to all EMBS conference organizers, who can reject submissions from these authors in the following two years, based on their past negative impact on an EMBS conference.
The no show form (click here) must be completed and submitted by the corresponding author of any paper that has been included in the EMBC'09 program but the author or a co-author is no longer able to attend and present the paper in the conference. If we do not receive the completed no show form, and you do not attend EMBC'09 and present your paper, you will be subscribed to the Society no show list.